The first United Brethren church and cemetery in this area was located a mile north of the current setting, and is now a private residence. This Pisgah congregation began around 1875.
The Avlon church was formed out of the Pisgah church due to a division in the denomination in 1889. At that time the Board of Trustees determined to establish a new church location. Mr. Adam Householder made a gift of one acre of land on which to construct the church building and allow a plot for a cemetery. Church members donated labor and materials, erecting the church edifice in what then was the Village of Avlon, at a cost of $1,981.28.
Because of steady growth in attendance during the pastorate of Herbie Householder, an addition was made onto the church building in the mid-1960s. The Charity Center Fellowship Hall was erected in 1989 with funds from the estate of the Siniff family. This second building was dedicated on August 20, 1989 at a celebration of the 100th anniversary of the church building. A kitchen expansion and garage were added to the fellowship building in 1999.
Another gift of land, across the road from the church building, was made in 2004 by Mrs. Mildred Griffin for the specific purpose of a providing a parsonage for the Avlon church. A newer house replaced the original structure in 2005. Many members of the congregation supported on-going fundraisers and was able to pay the mortgage debt off in 2015 for the new parsonage.
In 2015 Avlon church celebrated the 125th anniversary with a homecoming service, the burial of a time capsule that will be opened at the 200th anniversary, and the planting of a dogwood tree.
Twenty pastors have served the Avlon congregation in its 125+ year history. The current pastor, the Rev. Jason Sheets came in 2014 following Rev. Charles Wheatley, who retired at the end of 2013.
We call our church “The Lighthouse On The Hill”, not only because of its location, but because we exist here for a specific purpose, being a light to those who are lost.